For Margazhi (Margashirish, December), for 30 days, we prepare one variety rice daily as offerings to God Andal. You can start adding this rice in that list and this will be good to pack for kids lunch boxes papad / vadam / chips. I'll be publishing two more delicious rice recipes to this series.
- Peanut - 4 tbspn
- White Sesame seeds - 1 tbspn
- Red Chilli - 3 - 4
- Oil - 1 tbspn
- Salt - to taste
- Urad dal - 1 tspn
- Dry Coconut - 2 tbpsn
- Cooked Rice - 1/2 cup
- Oil - 1 tblspn
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tspn
- Peanuts - 1 tbspn
- Curry Leaves - 5 to 6 leaves
- Hing - 1/4 tspn
- Dry roast peanuts without oil, while roasting put the flame in simmer and fry. Keep an eye while frying it should be in golden brown. If you keep frying after that it will taste bitter. Remove and keep it in a plate. Once it cools remove the skin for 3/4 portion of peanuts.
- Fry sesame seeds also without oil in the same pan. Now, since the pan is exactly hot, sesame will get fried much faster and start spluttering. Keep the lid closed for a second so that it will not splutter out of the pan and you will save time by cleaning the stove top. Transfer this also separate plate.
- Now add oil to the pan; fry urad dal, dry coconut and red chilli until golden brown.
- Take peeled fried peanuts, and add other fried ingredients and salt to the mixie to make coarse powder of it. Don't run the mixie for a longtime otherwise oil might oozes out from sesame. If possible run it on pulse mode.
- In the same pan add oil and temper with mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves after a while now add 1/4 th of fried peanuts. Since peanuts are already fried and you need add at this stage.
- Next add rice and powder and put the flame to medium and stir nicely and turn off the stove within 5 minutes.
- Enjoy this delicious peanut rice with papad or any of your favorite snacks.
- While making powder it should be coarse. If you make fine powder and it will start sticking to the jar and lumps will be there while mixing with rice.
- You can even make this with leftover rice also.
Allergy Alert : If you or anyone in your home has nut allergies, please take proper precautions before, during and after cooking as advised by your physician.