Coriander seeds -1 tblsp
Coconut - 2 tblsp
Green chilies - 2
Curry leaves - 6-7
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Garlic - 3
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1/4 tsp
Mustard -1/4 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan by adding coriander seeds, green chilies to fry till aroma comes out of it.
- Then add chopped tomatoes, hing and curry leaves to saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Add salt, garlic and coconut; give it a quick mix and remove from pan. Transfer this into a separate plate to cool down and then grind it.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a small Kadai / pan for seasoning by adding Mustard allow to crackle followed by Urad Dal until it turns to golden brown and add it to thuvaiyal /chutney and mix this well.
- Enjoy this tasty Tomato Thuvaiyal with hot rice, Idly, Dosa, Upma and Chapathi.
- Instead of whole chillies, you could also substitute with chilly paste.
- While eating many of us take curry leaves out, since it is not chewable and intervenes while chewing food, especially kids do this. Since it carries bunch of healthy values, it is a good idea to add the curry leaves while grinding, instead of adding it during seasoning. Kids wouldn't know this and you can feel happy about making a healthy dish as well.